Thursday 29 October 2009

Reality Check

The other day I was discussing the improvements needed to the website "Love Zone" with its creator.   Then we had the news that a friend and relative who was recovering from a cancer operation had received a further blow.   He had the news that everyone dreads, a new scan had revealed it had spread and it wasn't good.

We looked at each other and said "does it really matter", that being a small technical improvement to the look of the website.   Was there any point in what we were doing when someone close may never see the results of our discussions.

Then I looked back to the time when I had my heart attack, and thought is this it!   It was then that I remembered the words of a poem I had read "Footprints" see the end of the article and you'll see what I mean.   "Thankfully I recovered and you'll all have to put up with my sometimes inchoherent rambling on about the wonders of the web.

But it does matter that we carry on with our humdrum lives, and even the small things we do can make a difference.   Even this simple article may make you stop and think about your nearest and dearest, and count your blessings.   A case in point is the efforts of villagers in volunteering for the "Community Road Watch", just giving up a small amount of our time may result in motorists thinking about the consquences of their actions and a life may be saved.   So it does matter.

Sorry this article appears gloomy.   But this is the one of the reasons for Skeffling Chatter, it is for people in our community to say what they want, it may not be relevant to all but to you it does matter.

Poem Footprints.

One night I had a dream.

I dreamed I was walking along the beach with God and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.   For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand, one belonged to me and the other to God.

When the last scene of my life flashed before us I looked back at the footprints in the sand.   I noticed that at times along the path of life there was only one set of footprints.

I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of my life.  This really bothered me and I questioned God about it.

"God, You said that once I decided to follow You, You would walk with me all the way but I noticed that during the most troublesome time in my life there is only one set of footprints.   I don't understand why in times when I needed You most, You would leave me."

God replied, "My precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you during your times of trials and suffering.

When you see only one set of footprints it was then that I carried you."

To Jan & Allan, here in Skeffling we're thinking of you today and the coming weeks.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Thank you, Tom. It was from the heart and so very true. It made me cry. I'll pass on your message to Jan and Alan.

Welcome to Skeffling Chatter

If you want to have your say you can join the Chatter group and submit your own comments or articles, simply send an e-mail to join now. Even if your friends and neighbours don't have access to a computer or the Internet they can still get involved by simply submitting their comments to Thomas in writing (telephone for details 650645) and he will arrange to publish this on the site for them. So what are you waiting for get involved now and let your voice be heard.